I actually made chicken salad a few days ago, but forgot about it till I made a sandwich today. Here’s my super secret, simply delicious chicken salad recipe:
1 Whole chicken (about 4-5 pounds will make MORE than enough)
1 Yellow Onion
2-3 stalks Celery
1 chicken bouillon cube
3/4 c mayonnaise
2-3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
Bread of your choice ( I use sourdough)
Sliced cheese of your choice (I prefer medium cheddar or swiss)
Yellow mustard (optional)
Sweet Pickle Relish (optional)
1. Place whole chicken in large stockpot and cover with salt and pepper.
2. Rough chop all vegetables and add to stock pot. Cover with salt and pepper again.
3. Fill stockpot with water till chicken is just covered and add bouillon cube. Cover stockpot with a lid.
4. Place stockpot over high heat and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and allow to simmer for one hour.
5. Remove chicken from stockpot, place on a plate or in a large bowl. Cover and allow to cool in the refrigerator for one hour.*
6. Once chicken has cooled, remove skin and discard. Pull the meat off the chicken carcass and shred to desired size. Place shredded chicken in a large mixing bowl.
7. Once all the chicken has been shredded, add mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Mix together to obtain desired consistency.
8. Toast bread, add desired condiments (I prefer mayonnaise, mustard, and sweet pickle relish), place desired amount of chicken salad on bread, top with cheese, and enjoy!
*Chef’s notes: After the chicken has been removed from the stockpot, you can strain the vegetables out of the stock and reserve the liquid to be used as chicken stock. Use within 14 days or place in freezer for later use.